One of the best things to happen to me since moving into my current ward has been a calling to teach Sunbeams. I love the kids, and it's been so great getting to spend all three hours of church with my wife and son. The experience has also been a valuable reminder of the basics of the Gospel and of just being a good person--something that I feel like I've sorely needed. I feel spiritually refreshed every time I go to Primary.
Our lesson this week was on feelings. Close to the end of class we tossed around a beanbag, and whoever caught it had to share one thing that made them happy. For me this was a powerful lesson on finding joy in life no matter one's circumstances. It's amazing how much happier you can feel when you name even the littlest things that make you happy; happiness is that simple!
So, I thought I'd share the joy and list thirty of the little things that made me happy this weekend:
- Sharing delicious peanut butter squares with my mom.
- Fresh-picked cherries from my parents' tree.
- Helping my wife with her work.
- Releasing butterflies into the wild.
- Showing up late to our apartment complex pool party and getting an entire pizza for free.
- Impromptu picnic with ward members.
- Helpful feedback from my writing group.
- Leslie Gilliams' discovery of doughnut making on Master Chef.
- Celebrating a friend's birthday.
- A morning walk.
- Helping friends move (though the fact of their moving is another story).
- Hanging out with the guys from my elders quorum.
- Talking literature with a neighbor.
- Cuddling with my wife.
- Getting three loads of laundry washed, folded, and put away all in the same day.
- Playing Magic: the Gathering with my brother-in-law.
- Buttery popcorn.
- New library books.
- Driving with the windows down.
- Finding out that I actually really like blueberry Pop Tarts.
- How cute my baby looked in his new shirt.
- Talking on the phone with my brother I never get to see.
- Taking the sacrament.
- Our Primary kids.
- The adult round of the "hot-cold" game in singing time.
- Hallway conversations with friends after church.
- A great conversation with my wife about links between science and scripture.
- A timely Family Home Evening lesson.
- My son's obsession with his toy giraffe. (Completely heart melting!)