Monday, June 23, 2014

30 things that made me happy this weekend

One of the best things to happen to me since moving into my current ward has been a calling to teach Sunbeams.  I love the kids, and it's been so great getting to spend all three hours of church with my wife and son.  The experience has also been a valuable reminder of the basics of the Gospel and of just being a good person--something that I feel like I've sorely needed.  I feel spiritually refreshed every time I go to Primary.

Source: yourbodybalanced.com
Our lesson this week was on feelings.  Close to the end of class we tossed around a beanbag, and whoever caught it had to share one thing that made them happy.  For me this was a powerful lesson on finding joy in life no matter one's circumstances.  It's amazing how much happier you can feel when you name even the littlest things that make you happy; happiness is that simple! 

So, I thought I'd share the joy and list thirty of the little things that made me happy this weekend: 

  1. Sharing delicious peanut butter squares with my mom.
  2. Fresh-picked cherries from my parents' tree.
  3. Helping my wife with her work.
  4. Releasing butterflies into the wild.
  5. Showing up late to our apartment complex pool party and getting an entire pizza for free.
  6. Impromptu picnic with ward members.
  7. Helpful feedback from my writing group.
  8. Leslie Gilliams' discovery of doughnut making on Master Chef.
  9. Celebrating a friend's birthday.
  10. A morning walk.
  11. Helping friends move (though the fact of their moving is another story).
  12. Hanging out with the guys from my elders quorum.
  13. Talking literature with a neighbor.
  14. Cuddling with my wife.
  15. Getting three loads of laundry washed, folded, and put away all in the same day.
  16. Playing Magic: the Gathering with my brother-in-law.
  17. Chess.
  18. Buttery popcorn.
  19. New library books.
  20. Driving with the windows down.
  21. Finding out that I actually really like blueberry Pop Tarts.
  22. How cute my baby looked in his new shirt.
  23. Talking on the phone with my brother I never get to see.
  24. Taking the sacrament.
  25. Our Primary kids.
  26. The adult round of the "hot-cold" game in singing time.
  27. Hallway conversations with friends after church.
  28. A great conversation with my wife about links between science and scripture.
  29. A timely Family Home Evening lesson.
  30. My son's obsession with his toy giraffe.  (Completely heart melting!)
Now it's your turn to be happy.  What things brightened your weekend?  Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

Ronda Cunningham said...

Seeing my grandson stand up unexpectedly (with a little support).
Enjoying cherries and strawberries from our own yard.
Getting two of my men back after a four-day vacation.
Getting to work and finding a challenging job waiting for me.
Giving real help to a friend who needed it.
A surprise visit from my son and his family.
Homemade chocolate-peanut butter treats.
A kids meal for me from Arctic Circle.
Lots more, but I have to do something before I go to bed.

Nathan said...

Love your comment, Mom. It was great to see you tonight and brighten your day! I take it you guys went to Arctic Circle?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...