Monday, July 18, 2011

A letter from the past

When the mail came today I was pleased, like anyone else, to find something for me.  It was a simple envelope--no return information, just my name and address and nothing more.  I was slightly perplexed at first, because the handwriting looked to be that of someone I knew, but I had no idea who. 

And then came that exciting lightbulb . . . when I realized the handwriting was mine!

I can understand why it wasn't immediately familiar.  I use dark ink--normally a gel--and bend my letters a little.  This writing was in pencil, in a very careful, straight up-and-down fashion--the way I wrote in high school.  This letter had come to me from another version of myself living five years in the past!

This was one of my last assignments in school my junior year.  My psychology teacher had each of us in the class write ourselves a letter, then address an envelope and leave it with her.  She promised to send those letters at the end of five years--and so, at the end of five years, my letter came!  

I haven't really taken the younger me as seriously as I probably should, but it was so good to hear from him today, and it's given me a lot to think about.  I won't share everything, but here is a little of what sixteen-year-old Nathan had to say:


Nathan,

You're probably getting off your mission right about now.  I'm glad you chose to go.  God blesses those who serve Him, and even though hard times are ahead, He will always be there.

I write this on Wednesday, May 31st, 2006.  It's the end of your junior year in high school, and you've been ready for the summer for months.  Is your nickname still Sly Pig?

....

There are so many things I want to ask you, but I wish to encourage you, as well.

....

Keep writing.  Are you published yet?  ....  You'll do fine.

Finally, continue in your faithful service to the Lord God.  He loves you and is pleased with your progress.  Never forget Him.  Never forget who you are.


Sincerely,

~Nathan Cunningham--The Great Sly Pig


P.S.  Doc said to never let your violin gather dust.  Please heed that charge.


Short and sweet . . . but exactly what I needed to hear today.  Young Nathan, you've earned yourself a cookie.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

This was right after we met dude! Haha...this would have been cool to do, if I'd done it...but then again, I'm glad I didn't.

So do you remember the cookie you had five years ago? :-P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...