Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The sporting--er, music event of the season!

Allow me to geek out for a moment.

I love my music class more and more every week.  We listened to the following recording today, in which P.D.Q. Bach (Peter Schickele) explores a solution to popularize nineteenth-century music in this day and age.  Band geeks and orch-dorks, this is for you:



Right on target, Mr. Schickele!  Call me a music nerd, but I found that absolutely hilarious.  And, to be perfectly honest, a great concert would be my Superbowl. 

But there's so much truth in this recording, too!  Beethoven wasn't just a nut job.  He was a brilliant nut job!  If what he wanted to write didn't fit the musical conventions of the day, he'd just change the rules and do it anyway!  And sure, previous musicians did that sometimes, too, but how many of them had anything crawling in their heads even close to the 4th movement of Symphony No. 9?  Beethoven's stuff was exciting and new.  Nobody saw it coming.  I definitely owe him a great debt; imagine what we'd be listening to today if this guy hadn't come along!

End geek-out.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

Beyond the fact that I'm completely confused...my sister would like this.

:-/

And kudos for such an unconventional geek-out. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...