Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday

Hello, Blogosphere!  It's been a while since we've talked.  Don't expect to get much out of me tonight, though; I'm just here to say hi, let you know I'm still around . . . that sort of stuff.  Life's been busy.  Life's been good.  I hope to share some more thoughts with y'all soon.

For now I'm content to note that it's a lovely Friday night here in my corner of the Internet.  It's been a productive week.  I've worked hard, and now I'm enjoying a peaceful evening at home listening to the crickets chirp outside.  It feels good to relax, and one thing of which I've been reminded this week is that relaxing is best done after a longer period of not relaxing.

At least three years have passed since Friday has meant anything significant to me.  For two of those years, there technically was no actual "weekend."  Much of the day was available on Mondays to do reasonable weekend-y things (like shopping and playing), but anyone who's been on a mission might know that those aren't necessarily the most relaxing hours of the week (quite the opposite!).  Then for the third year, life was basically stuck in "weekend mode" all the time.  Granted, there were classes and plenty of other responsibilities that needed my care, but no such structure as would put too much difference between Saturday and, say, Wednesday. 

Finally re-joining the ranks of the employed recently has given me a lot of fresh insights, but perhaps the simplest is just how much I've come to appreciate there being a true difference between weekday and weekend.  It adds a new degree of color to my life that has been missing for a while, and I feel really good about it.  Being able to relax is something that came too easily for too long, so I love working hard and knowing I've earned a little bit of rest when that break comes.  Sounds like God had it right all along:

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
  (Exodus 20:9-11; emphasis mine)

Here's to Fridays, and the weekends they represent.

4 comments:

olde.fashioned said...

Are you going to have a structured, "normal" workweek, then? Mon-Fri, etc.?

You're definitely right about the relaxing being best after no relaxing, that's for sure!!

I get my days mixed up anymore. When I work 5-6 days in a row (say, Wed thru Mon), then Tue-Wed is going to be my weekend, LOL!

SlySwine said...

I'm disappointed Nate. I thought this was a Rebecca Black critique

Nathan said...

@ O.F.: Yep--Monday through Friday! :D I can definitely relate to your scheduling, though; back when I worked at Red Lobster, that's how my weeks were, too. I never knew what to expect week after week. :-P

@ Unknown: Sorry to disappoint. ;-)

Rachel Frost said...

Weekends are always really nice for me. My job is very stressful so it's great just to relax for a few hours so I can survive the next work-week. It also makes me feel like it's okay to slack off for a little while because of how productive I've been.

It's great that you're going to work every day. It's quite the accomplishment to survive the daily grind! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...