Friday, September 10, 2010

Being still

"The world is so noisy.  There are voices everywhere trying to influence us.  We all need time to think.  We need to drown out the clamor and noise and simply be quiet.  We need time to ponder and meditate, and to contemplate the deeper things of life.  We need time to read and to immerse ourselves in the thoughts of great minds.

"Our lives are so busy.  We run from one thing to another.  We wear ourselves out with our studies and our social lives and our pursuit of money.  Please don't misunderstand me: I am not saying that any of these things are wrong or bad.  But we are entitled to spend some time with ourselves.  We need to spend time out in nature where we can think and breathe deeply and feel the earth and listen to the sounds of the ocean or the woods or the mountains." 

Gordon B. Hinckley  (Way to Be!, pp. 103-104)



In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 1:1



The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Psalm 23:1-2



O ye mountains high, where the clear blue sky
Arches over the vales of the free,
Where the pure breezes blow and the clear streamlets flow,
How I've longed to your bosom to flee!
O Zion! dear Zion! land of the free,
Now my own mountain home, unto thee I have come;
All my fond hopes are centered in thee.

Hymn #34, O Ye Mountains High



Be still, and know that I am God.

Psalm 46:10



Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Isaiah 12:3



And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever.

Mosiah 18:30




Photos taken Friday, September 10, 2010 at the Mirror Lake area of the Uinta Mountains.  See more pictures from this stillness excursion at majhost.com.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I love your first quote. People are made to be outside, not sit and watch TV. People are so used to the easily accessible it's hard to stop and enjoy the present (and nature). Very cool. :)

The Warrior said...

I'm so jealous....and I couldn't agree with Stacy more here.

olde.fashioned said...

You are exactly right! Your entry reminded me of a lot of song lyrics, mostly about taking the time to stop and see things we usually take for granted, making me wish I had access to green pastures and still waters.

I'd be willing to be that a huge part of our modern problems with stress, etc, has a lot to do with the fact that we weren't designed to reside in stuffy cities and in such close proximity. It was the Garden of Eden, not the Metropolis of Eden....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...