Friday, September 24, 2010

Monkey bridge

Today I had the opportunity to participate in the construction of a monkey bridge.  We used to build these as Boy Scouts, and I was happy to see the tradition still alive in our group of young men.  It's such a simple design, but so much fun:






I've been thinking a lot lately about my years in the Scouting program.  It made one of the single most valuable contributions to my development as a man, and I still use the things I learned as a Boy Scout every day.  I am of a firm belief that enrollment of sons in Boy Scouts--and support in it--is a wise move on the part of any parent.  Especially in a day when the family is under such attack, and the definition of what makes a man is continually manipulated and corrupted, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is a critical ally in the war against Satan.  It teaches young men proper preparation, useful skills, moral values, good manners, and healthy habits.  In essence, it teaches young men how to be men. 

And really, that's all I have to say without going into a lengthy montage of the lessons I learned in Boy Scouts and repeating points I've already made.   

So, to really sum this post up, I'm pumped for Friends of Scouting season.  We're kicking off our campaign tomorrow morning with a big breakfast.  I don't know when everyone else is starting, but that monkey bridge is a bridge to the future, so if the Scouts knock on your door, remember they're just looking for friends.  Will you be their friend?

3 comments:

The Warrior said...

You know how I think far ahead, sometimes too far, haha. I've seriously considered planning to enroll my sons in the scouts...my only drawback is that I don't know what they will be in the future, and never experienced them myself (a big issue for me). Whatcha think?

Nathan said...

The BSA is on continual guard against decay both inside and out. They hold themselves to very high standards, keeping to the Scout Oath: "On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."

So you'll be okay enrolling your boys in Scouts. :)

olde.fashioned said...

I didn't realize you'd been a Scout!

Yeah this was a Spencarian post, hee hee. ;-)

OBVIOUSLY I wasn't in the Boy Scouts, but I'm as for the Boy Scouts as I am against the Girl Scouts. Funny how that works, eh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...